Monday, November 5, 2007

HDDVD Thus Far

So I raced home and hooked my HDDVD player up and popped in CHICAGO to watch. Now I know it's supposed to upconvert and make the image look better but to be honest I'm not seeing it. Granted, I haven't done the Pepsi challenge with this and my old one but it doesn't seem noticeable.

I realize I have an HD player and nothing to watch on it. So I drive down to the Marion Theatre (
www.themariontheatre.org) to talk to Brian because I know he had some HD titles and he lends me THE SEARCHERS, THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD, KING KONG and some documentary called documentary BLUE PLANET. I truly love the Peter Jackson version of KING KONG and I'll commit sacrilege by saying it's better than the original. It's everything the original is and it had fully developed characters. I wanted to watch ROBIN HOOD and SEARCHERS because I want to see what HD does for a fifty year old movie.

So then I went to my friend Heidi's and dropped the one I picked up for her off. We hooked it up and kicked in KONG. Her TV is a 50" Vizio LCD. Again, it's super clear but not so much that I hate DVD now. I suppose this is a good thing since I own 1200 DVDs. I find in DVD there is sometimes a grain to objects in the background, HD doesn't do that. I don't know... it's just not as earthshaking as I would have hoped. Luckily I was in the market for a DVD player anyway and this one was $50 more.

Now, in HD's defense, I bought some generic HDMI cable from Big Lots. It was $12 instead of the standard $35. It may just be cheap cable not doing it justice.

Oh, and here's another thing: I am watching REQUIEM FOR KRYPTON, the documentary on SUPERMAN RETURNS and there is obvious grain around the names of the people on the frame. What the hell? I don't ever remember anything like that on DVD.

So I wake up Saturday morning at like 3:30a (I hate sleeping) and watch PITCH BLACK and noticed the display is goofy. It's showing the movie running time is one hour and ninety-four minutes which doesn't even make sense. So I take it back to Wally World and exchanged it and I bought it and a copy of SLEEPY HOLLOW since it was on sale and I sold my DVD copy in some kind of rush to get HD. So now I have one lonely disc.

I am on vacation soon and then away on business for the next few days. When I get back I am going to check the HDMI cable (I also noticed I wasn't getting Dolby Digital on my receiver so something is wrong somewhere).

Later.

3 comments:

MadisonRose=] said...

how old are you???
i want to talk to you on this alright.

Joe said...

sounds like you have a serious system going on there! Sounds awesome.

That is complete sacralidge on saying that a remake is better than the original. I must say that I too like the new King Kong but I thought it to be a little drug out. I mean come on! Did it REALLY need that many slow motion shots??

http://fromtheoverlycriticalmindofjuan.blogspot.com/

MadisonRose=] said...

im only 14