Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Mark Millar's Superman Dilemma...

It broke this weekend that Dan Harris and Michael Doughterty, the screenwriters for X2 and Superman Returns would not be back for the Superman sequel. Warners is actually taking pitches from writers. This is unheard of.

Mark Millar, comic writer for The Ultimates wanted the gig. He's a Superman whore and makes no illusions about it. On a recent episode of Fanboy Radio he said writing the Superman comic is his dream gig and he has about 200 pages of notes for when the opportunity presents itself. He got his agents at CAA to arrange a meeting. Twelve hours later he didn't get this gig.

In the end, he's under contract to Marvel Comics. Warner's can't hire contracted Marvel writers. It's sad but understandable. J Michael Stryzisidknmsnkj-ski commented on his website that he's seen it happen before. Whenever a movie gets made from a comic, every comic writer associated with the project wants that gig. Imagine if you didn't give it to any of them and instead gave it to a guy who works for the competition and has never written Superman. John Byrne and Roger Stern would probably meet you in a parking lot and bash you good with their Eisner Awards.

Of course, I wrote a Superman screenplay almost ten years and can't find the damn thing to send to the guy who reads my screenplays. I so suck.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

"John Byrne and Roger Stern would probably meet you in a parking lot and bash you good with their Eisner Awards."

That would be difficult as I don't have an Eisner, or any other awards of which to speak.

Don't know about John.

-- Roger Stern

Anonymous said...

Holy crap. Do you just Google yourself and see who's talking about you?

Anyway, I just remember your (and Byrne's) Superman was my Superman. I was about fifteen then and it was Christopher Reeve and then you guys.

You don't often get to thank people for inspiring you, but thanks.

James Ford

PS - I started this blob a week ago. You're the first commenter I've had (or proof anyone reads it). Thanks again.

Unknown said...

"Holy crap. Do you just Google yourself and see who's talking about you?"

I walk by night, and I know many things.

"Anyway, I just remember your (and Byrne's) Superman was my Superman. I was about fifteen then and it was Christopher Reeve and then you guys.

You don't often get to thank people for inspiring you, but thanks."

You're very welcome, James. It's always nice to be remembered.

-- Uncle Rog